Laptop plans have been set back by about a month or two... and here's why.
Intel has recently announced the launch of its Intel Core 2 Duo processors for desktops (codenamed Conroe) and for mobile platforms (codenamed Merom). These processors are faster and cooler than even the fastest Intel and AMD chips currently on the market. Although clock speeds haven't gone up significantly, which is how Intel chips usually speed up, these new chips do more per clock cycle than any previous chip. This allows for lower clock rates which translates to lower power consumption, and thus a cooler chip.
So... how does this affect laptop plans? Apple is expected to announce a new line of Macbook and Macbook Pro laptops (and possibly iMac desktops and XServe workstations/servers) based on Intel's new line of processors at the 2006 WWDC in early August. Now... why would I want to buy a Macbook Pro based on Core Duo technology that has just been made obsolete? So... no new laptop for Lawrence for another 2 months =(...
Anyway, on another note, I just found out how I can get a Macbook Pro that normally retails for S$4288 for less than S$3200! I'm referring to the 15" 2.16GHz Macbook Pro. This notebook sells retails for S$4288 on the Apple Singapore website. NUS sells it at S$3799 to their students, and CMU sells it at about S$3700 (after currency conversions).
So, here's the big one. Apple Developer Connection membership allows its members significant hardware discounts for a limited number of purchases per year. Student membership comes at US$99/year. Eligible ADC Student Program members in the United States, Canada, Australia, Europe, Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan may take advantage of a special, one-time hardware discount per lifetime (non-renewable and subject to change). Note: You can take advantage of this one-time discount once per lifetime. So I guess it wins to be a cat in this case.
Anyway, a student member from the USA gets to buy this same system at only US$1999, which after conversion works out to be significantly less than S$3200. So, ADC Student membership here I come!
Intel has recently announced the launch of its Intel Core 2 Duo processors for desktops (codenamed Conroe) and for mobile platforms (codenamed Merom). These processors are faster and cooler than even the fastest Intel and AMD chips currently on the market. Although clock speeds haven't gone up significantly, which is how Intel chips usually speed up, these new chips do more per clock cycle than any previous chip. This allows for lower clock rates which translates to lower power consumption, and thus a cooler chip.
So... how does this affect laptop plans? Apple is expected to announce a new line of Macbook and Macbook Pro laptops (and possibly iMac desktops and XServe workstations/servers) based on Intel's new line of processors at the 2006 WWDC in early August. Now... why would I want to buy a Macbook Pro based on Core Duo technology that has just been made obsolete? So... no new laptop for Lawrence for another 2 months =(...
Anyway, on another note, I just found out how I can get a Macbook Pro that normally retails for S$4288 for less than S$3200! I'm referring to the 15" 2.16GHz Macbook Pro. This notebook sells retails for S$4288 on the Apple Singapore website. NUS sells it at S$3799 to their students, and CMU sells it at about S$3700 (after currency conversions).
So, here's the big one. Apple Developer Connection membership allows its members significant hardware discounts for a limited number of purchases per year. Student membership comes at US$99/year. Eligible ADC Student Program members in the United States, Canada, Australia, Europe, Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan may take advantage of a special, one-time hardware discount per lifetime (non-renewable and subject to change). Note: You can take advantage of this one-time discount once per lifetime. So I guess it wins to be a cat in this case.
Anyway, a student member from the USA gets to buy this same system at only US$1999, which after conversion works out to be significantly less than S$3200. So, ADC Student membership here I come!


1 Comments:
you are really going after the top of the laptop chain
Post a Comment
<< Home