I was just reading blogs late into the night (I'm waiting for photos to upload), and I was remembering the past (its been a nostalgic evening). So, I went to look at my old blogs, just for old time's sake.
I've had 5 blogs so far, all of them now deceased. Everytime I let one of them die, I promise myself I wouldn't come back to this somewhat exhibitionist world of blogging. After all, as a friend once said, how real can one be in a blog? Don't you just write what you want people to see (think Johari window here)...
Inevitably, there always comes a time, when I've just so much to say and so much to share. Be it experiences, thoughts, feelings, quotes, photos... And the next blog comes along.
All this blogging however, has brought at least one good thing. I can look back and feel, even just fleetingly, exactly how I felt 4 years back. I completely forgot how I used to play games with this classmate back in RI on our Palm PDAs via IR, and we had to try so hard not to laugh out loud while playing. I completely forgot how we would clear the back of the classroom during recess, set up a "net" of chairs and play ping pong tennis using our calculators (I'm sure this gave the bookshop auntie good business selling calculators). I've completely forgetten the whole myriad of feelings experienced in JC.
Old blogs are just like keys to the past, unlocking chests of memories - some good, and of course, some bad. Somehow though, its always the bad that makes me appreciate the good more.
But maybe this is just an excuse to start my next blog =p.
Anyway, speaking of old memories, tonight brought back lots of them. Of course, there were memories of the pre-departure course and OBS - I mean, who could resist savouring the moment when they were playing all those videos. Little things just floated back - the games we played on the cutter, the games we played late into the night, the laughs we shared, and that chat - sitting on ponchos, looking out at ships passing through the channel. At the same time, tonight brought back a whole different memory - the memory of a successful function.
Back in JC, we called all events we organised functions. My function was Orientation. Preparations started in June and lasted through common tests, promos and holidays, culminating in Orientation proper in January the following year. Imagine the feeling after the 5 days were all over. Imagine the euphoria, relief and at the same time, this yawning emptiness inside. Yups... tonight was a reminder of that.
I must admit, I came to our pre-departure programme with quite a bit of cynicism. I mean... how fun could it have been? I still remember the suggestion to go for dinner together on the second and third days, both of which never really materialised. However, the days went by, things happened, and here we are now (think dinner after OBS - we just didn't want to leave so soon; think 4hr dinner at NYDC after a full day of rehearsals).
In this whirlwind of events, it is easy to overlook the impact each and every individual has made in my life. (This is starting to sound like an awards speech, but here goes anyway.) I'd like to reserve special thanks for my watch mates who were always there and always friendly (even when I was crawling in and out of the tent at 2am). This thanks also goes out to my co-emcee, who single-handedly made emceeing so much easier. And of course, thanks to everyone else, for always accomodating, tolerating, working and playing together.
In the years to come, I guess memories of the whole DSTA programme would go the same way as the rest of my memories - locked up in some chest deep in my head. However, I hope that this here would be the key to bring back, however fleetingly, memories of all of you.
So yes, co-emcee, I'm going to cherish the few mths before everyone flies off to their respective unis =).
Things I wanna do:
So... let's make it happen guys!
And just for memories' sake, here's a picture. Remember the multitude of cracking noises? =)
I've had 5 blogs so far, all of them now deceased. Everytime I let one of them die, I promise myself I wouldn't come back to this somewhat exhibitionist world of blogging. After all, as a friend once said, how real can one be in a blog? Don't you just write what you want people to see (think Johari window here)...
Inevitably, there always comes a time, when I've just so much to say and so much to share. Be it experiences, thoughts, feelings, quotes, photos... And the next blog comes along.
All this blogging however, has brought at least one good thing. I can look back and feel, even just fleetingly, exactly how I felt 4 years back. I completely forgot how I used to play games with this classmate back in RI on our Palm PDAs via IR, and we had to try so hard not to laugh out loud while playing. I completely forgot how we would clear the back of the classroom during recess, set up a "net" of chairs and play ping pong tennis using our calculators (I'm sure this gave the bookshop auntie good business selling calculators). I've completely forgetten the whole myriad of feelings experienced in JC.
Old blogs are just like keys to the past, unlocking chests of memories - some good, and of course, some bad. Somehow though, its always the bad that makes me appreciate the good more.
But maybe this is just an excuse to start my next blog =p.
Anyway, speaking of old memories, tonight brought back lots of them. Of course, there were memories of the pre-departure course and OBS - I mean, who could resist savouring the moment when they were playing all those videos. Little things just floated back - the games we played on the cutter, the games we played late into the night, the laughs we shared, and that chat - sitting on ponchos, looking out at ships passing through the channel. At the same time, tonight brought back a whole different memory - the memory of a successful function.
Back in JC, we called all events we organised functions. My function was Orientation. Preparations started in June and lasted through common tests, promos and holidays, culminating in Orientation proper in January the following year. Imagine the feeling after the 5 days were all over. Imagine the euphoria, relief and at the same time, this yawning emptiness inside. Yups... tonight was a reminder of that.
I must admit, I came to our pre-departure programme with quite a bit of cynicism. I mean... how fun could it have been? I still remember the suggestion to go for dinner together on the second and third days, both of which never really materialised. However, the days went by, things happened, and here we are now (think dinner after OBS - we just didn't want to leave so soon; think 4hr dinner at NYDC after a full day of rehearsals).
In this whirlwind of events, it is easy to overlook the impact each and every individual has made in my life. (This is starting to sound like an awards speech, but here goes anyway.) I'd like to reserve special thanks for my watch mates who were always there and always friendly (even when I was crawling in and out of the tent at 2am). This thanks also goes out to my co-emcee, who single-handedly made emceeing so much easier. And of course, thanks to everyone else, for always accomodating, tolerating, working and playing together.
In the years to come, I guess memories of the whole DSTA programme would go the same way as the rest of my memories - locked up in some chest deep in my head. However, I hope that this here would be the key to bring back, however fleetingly, memories of all of you.
So yes, co-emcee, I'm going to cherish the few mths before everyone flies off to their respective unis =).
Things I wanna do:
Go to Fengyi's place and LAN!
Go sailing with you guys
I heard news about a Sui Sen BBQ? (let's make it happen!)
Just hang out and get to know you guys better.
So... let's make it happen guys!
And just for memories' sake, here's a picture. Remember the multitude of cracking noises? =)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home